5 reasons why empowerment led coaching is important:
1) Encourages skill sharing – by creating an environment where the people taking part are the ones driving the activity on, you encourage people to skill share with each other as they are encouraged to value the skills and knowledge they have and how this can help others they come into contact with.
2) Develops confidence – in a similar vein, by encouraging skill sharing and valuing of your own skills and knowledge, this develops the confidence and self-belief of those involved.
3) Teaches that mistakes are okay – by having an empowerment focussed environment it helps encourage people to try things out without fear of mistake, with mistakes encouraged as life lessons and something to take pride in as a process of discovery and learning rather than something to be embarrassed by.
4) Enables people to grow – this environment really encourages people to grow and reach their potential, including finding out things they never knew about themselves; it is liberating.
5) Encourages sustainability – by having people at the centre of what they do, driving the activity, you encourage sustainability through making it more likely that such behaviour and activity can continue without your coaching. This is essential for helping achieve community action as we have done with the EdIT Club at Edlington Library via Libre Digital’s FreeTech Project, for instance – a video on this project can be watched here.